Always make sure you wear safety goggles and have available running water near by when handling any chemicals for your pressure washing project.
The running water should be another source other than the hose hooked to your pressure washer for immediate access. You don’t want to have to fool around with unscrewing the hose from the pressure washer if the need for fresh water is urgent.
You also want to wear medical gloves or other gloves that are thin and easy to work with. Using bulkier gloves can alter your ability to grip precisely or use precise manuevers in case of an accidental spill. These gloves can also give you some extra comfort while using the pressure washing wand or”gun.”
Chlorine can be very caustic. It also is about 2.5x the strength of household bleach.
Most surfaces can be pressure washed with chlorine by diluting it down to 50% strength. This will make it safer to work with and also give you more bang for your buck.
Sodium Hypochlorite is the active ingredient in chlorine and bleach. Typically household bleach is around 5% and Chlorine is about 12.5%. The higher the percentage of hypocrite, the more cleaning power you have.
Always remember when pressure washing, to rinse all surfaces thoroughly especially any aluminum framed windows and metal surfaces. This will help avoid any crystallization build up after you are finished with your pressure washing project.
Rinse your windows well with a water hose, not the pressure washer, as this can cause a void in the seal and your window warranty.
When you are complete with your pressure washing job, ensure you rinse everything down, including your pressure washer to avoid corrosion from the chlorine. Don’t be so worried about getting water on your pressure washer motor. If the gas can is on tight and you don’t shoot water directly into the exhaust vent, your pressure washer will be fine.
After you dispose of your safety gloves, thoroughly rinse your hands with fresh water. If you ever come in contact with chlorine in your eyes, immediately flush your eyes out with a water hose with a light flow and contact a doctor immediately thereafter.